I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

02 March 2010

Sometimes it Takes Two Days

My mom is better today, much better.  Dad's visiting her.

Yesterday morning, when she woke up, she was fine.  I wrote my post and told the world that my mom was better after a nights rest.

Everything was fine.   I really don't know what happened between the time I gave her oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast and the moment she turned angry.

I was on the phone with a colleague, discussing source code for a program that I was working on.  My mom, she came downstairs, fully dressed and she was pissed.  She looked at me and yelled, "I'm pissed off.... what am I some asshole?"

Confusion was surely the look I gave my mom, I had no idea what had happened.  It made no sense.  I got off the phone with my colleague and went to see what was wrong with my mom. 

I found her sitting in the sunroom with a frown on her face.  She was cross.  I went up and asked her, "Ma, what's wrong?"

"No one told me that I was crazy.... why didn't you tell me?  I've been dead for 2 years.... what happened to the other house?  How did I get here?  I have to go to the other house." My mom rambled in a panic.  It was as though she woke up from a 2 year nap, nothing looked familiar.  She was mad. 

Just as she predicted the night before as she was frantically going through her purse, "I'm going to be pissed."  Well, she was pissed alright. I couldn't stop laughing.  It was pretty funny.

The day went on and my mom calmed down. 

I took her blood pressure and blood sugar.  I observed that when her blood pressure and blood sugar are elevated, she is more nuts than usual. 

On Sunday she was at my sister's house and her blood sugar was much higher than it's been at 129.  I found that my mom, when her blood sugar goes over 125, she hallucinates or has behavior issues.

I made my mom a cup of tea and had her sit down with the hypnosis recording.  She listened to the recording for 30 minutes.  When she woke up she appeared better, not so agitated.  She asked me questions all day about her hallucinations.

"Susie, there's a lady in my closet.  She has a cone head.  She's only about a foot tall.  She was messing with my stuff so I nicely said to her in this voice (my mom's voice went up a few octaves), "Oh, you're going to have to go now." 

"Did she leave?"  I said to her, hoping to get her to tell me more.

"No, she didn't leave.  She didn't pay any attention to me."  My mom added.  Without skipping a breath she said, "Two and a Half Men, they were just here.  They came to visit me!"  My mom was thrilled that Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer were visiting my mom and she was psyched. 

Sporting a huge school girl smile, my mom believed she really had Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer in her room.  I didn't even want to ask what they were doing with her, I didn't want the answer.  But, my mom she didn't stop, she continued on. "... Oh, they are always having sex with someone.  Today Charlie has a new girlfriend...." 

I had to stop her and I said, "Well, aren't you the lucky lady?  Those 2 are really good looking men." 

My mom, beaming from ear to ear said to me, "Oh I know!  Isn't it nice that they thought enough to visit me?  I really like those 2."

I gave my mom some Helleborus Niger to stop the hallucinations.  My mom, she was apprehensive to take the pellets, she was really enjoying her visit with the men from TV.  But, she took them because she figured they had a date.

This morning, my mom is much better.  Well, she was 15 minutes ago.

She told me that my dad was with her all night.  She told me that he cleaned the house for me, that he did the dishes and made the bed.  He cleaned the bathroom and vacuumed, then he climbed in bed with my mom.  She was so happy to see my dad. 

"Susie, Daddy is so good looking.  He is a handsome man.  I had to go to the bathroom so I got up.  Unfortunately, when I got back, Daddy left.  I didn't want him to leave.  He'll be back though, he has been with me a lot lately."  She said to me as a matter of fact.

Another observation that I have made is when my mom eats her dinner, everything on her plate; the following day is always better.

Today, it's a great day because my mom, she didn't declare herself pissed off!


  1. Oh dear. Its certainly a roller coaster ride, isn't it?

  2. Sorry but I can't resist.
    I am ALL to familiar with the Lewy Ride so, at least she gave you fair warning. ;-)

  3. Mellodee... as Kathy states in her comment, every day is an adventure with Lewy Bodies Dementia.

    This morning, my mom said to me, "Susie, I am so excited! Daddy has been visiting. He's here right now. Look, he's laying down with the cat. Isn't he handsome?! I am so excited!!!"

    I waved to my dad and started to talk to my mom's hallucination. It made her happy.

    Kathy... I'm happy to see that we do survive after being a care giver to someone with LBD! Thanks for reading my blog and contributing with a comment.

  4. a roller coaster ride is a perfect way to describe it.

    each day, i never knew what i was gonna get.

  5. Ya... just like a Cracker Jacks Box.... somedays we liked the toy suprise inside and other days we got a crappy one.

    The not so good days make the good days awesome!