Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

29 March 2010

Is My Mom Finding Her Mind with R-α–lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine?

The combination of  R-α–lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine appears to be helping my mom's cognition.  She had been taking these two mitochondrial antioxidant/nutrients, they are listed in Cognifactor; Acetyl -L-Carnitine - 400mg and R-a-lipoic acid - 5mg.

I wrote a comment on a blog somewhere out on the internet.  It was a comment that related to my experiences with my mom.  Someone left a comment to my comment.  She told me about these 2 mitochondrial antioxidant/nutrients and how her dad has been taking it; it is reversing his alzheimer's.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I needed to check this out for myself, just as a lot of you that read my blog will probably do too.  I researched and discovered that the 2 mitochondrial antioxidant/nutrients when taken together at a 2:1 ratio, with a nutritious diet, can reverse dementia. 

There are no side effects.  Perfect. 

The ratio of the 2 mitochondrial antioxidant/nutrients, based on what researchers have discovered with the affects on the brain is 500 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine to 200 mg of R-a-lipoic acid, twice a day.

I know that with my mom's condition of Lewy Bodies Dementia, less is more.  Start slow is the moto these days. 

I told my mom about RLA and ALC combination that is known to benefit diabetics and folks with Parkinsons Disease, a symptom of Lewy Bodies Dementia. 

RLA has a bunch of benefits for diabetics.  It's known to reverse neuropathy, a condition that my mom has suffered because of her serious diabetes that she had for so many decades.  It is also used to keep normal blood sugars in check. 

OBSERVATION:  Over the years, I've noticed most diabetics that I know who don't keep their sugar levels under control, are demented in their thinking.

Once I told my mom about what I had learned about these two antioxidant/nutrients, she wanted to get some immediately and give it a try.  Off we went to Whole Foods where we found 100mg capsules of RLA to add to her Cognifactor supplement that has 400mg of ALC per dose.

The next morning, my mom took one 100mg capsule to compliment the 400mg of carnitine that she's been taking in Cognifactor for the last 8 months.  Immediately we noticed improvement.  It's been one week and she's doing super.  We had one bad day, which could have been avoided if I was in a better state of mind, one where I could navigate us to a more happy place.  We live and learn on our journey, it's sort of like being a new parent, old folks don't come with instruction manuals either!

For more information about RLA and ALC, you can read this article that I had found intriguing. 

Combined R-α–lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine exerts efficient preventative effects in a cellular model of Parkinson's disease

My mom, she is doing super.  She's clearer than she's been.  Could these two antioxidant/nutrients be reversing her condition?  Mitochondrial Antioxidant/Nutrients RLA and ALC - Does it work to help folks with Lewy Bodies Dementia?

Is my mom find her mind?

1 comment: