Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

14 August 2010

Zucchini Fritters - Gluten Free (Dementia Free Too!)

Today I was aching for Zucchini Fritters but I knew that I needed to modify my old standby recipe that called for wheat flour.

Gluten of any form seems to cause my mom problems, it brings on more hallucinations and often these gluten created hallucinations frighten her.  Solution?  Avoid gluten.

In an effort to curb my craving but also stick to my gluten free diet, here's how I made tasty Zucchini Fritters that are gluten free.

2 small zucchini grated- fresh from a local farm or your garden are the most tasty
1 green onion - dice the white part of the onion and discard the dark green tops
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Gabanzo and Fava flour
3 medium eggs beaten with a little Himalayan sea salt
2 tablespoons diced red onion
1 small tomato cored, seeded and chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped fine
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano grated cheese (good quality cheese)
olive oil

Mix all ingredients except the olive oil together in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with Himalayan Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper.

Put about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet.  Heat the oil until it shimmers on medium high heat.

Place a large spoon of Zucchini Fritter into the hot oil.  Spread it out to look like a pancake with the back of the spoon.  Cook until golden brown and flip so the reverse side of the fritter is also golden brown.

The first ones that I had made were golden brown, we ate them before I thought of photographing the finished recipe.  The pictured ones were a little charcoaled - I hear it's good for the teeth.

My mom was excited, she rushed in from outside, interrupting my lunch preparation.  She had to know if "Denise" could come to live with us.  We told her that Denise can live here.  She told me that he knows that he doesn't eat.  She is thrilled to have her baby back.  It's almost as though she was guilty for not being able to birth him over 51 years ago... instead she got me.

He's the still born baby that she had before I was conceived and was born.  She believes he was in Purgatory with all the other children, today they found each other.  Now, he's here and she is thrilled to have her baby boy to help her with all the children that come to her looking to catch the bus to heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Recipe sounds really good! :)

    Your mom's hallucinations are certainly inventive!

    ReplyDelete