Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

20 June 2011

Sue's Pressure Cooker Radish Green Soup

Today's harvest... radishes!
My radishes, grown from little seeds were ready to be picked.  I had NO idea how to prepare these little red peppery roots; I searched the internet.

I found a recipe that used the radish greens.  Hmmmmm.... interesting.

I started preparing the soup, I started to think about other things that I had in my garden that the recipe didn't call for... fresh herbs.  I also couldn't bring myself to puree the soup mixture after it cooked.  I've been watching people eat too many pureed meals since my mom moved to the nursing home.

Instead, I chose to eat it solid... it was fantastic.

Sue's Pressure Cooker Radish Green Soup
1 Tablespoons organic butter
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cups radish greens - stems removed
2 medium potatoes - peeled and sliced
1 large Vidalia onion, coarsely chopped
2 radish sliced thin
2 sprigs of oregano (2-3" in length)
2 sprigs of Tarragon (2-3" in length)
2 sprigs of Thyme "
2 sprigs of Marjoram
4 cups organic chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the butter and oil together in the pressure cooker.  Add the onions, potatoes and herbs; no need to remove the leaves off the stems, you can pull the stems out after the soup is cooked.

Stir to mix the butter and oil mixture evenly over the onions, potato and herbs.

After about 2 minutes, add the radish greens and mix to coat with the butter and oil.

Add the chicken broth and stir.

Pressure cook on medium high until the pan hisses.  Shut off the heat and cool pan under running cold water to depressurize the pan so that it opens.

Add a few slices of radish on the soup and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment