Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

12 October 2010

Sue's Split Pea Soup with Chia Seeds

Ingredients


1 Ham Bone with meat on it
(if you buy a picnic pork shoulder, have it for dinner one night and use the bone to make soup for another night - economical, healthy and delicious)
2 cups dry split peas (picked through and rinsed)
3 carrots - diced and chopped
3 celery stalks - diced and chopped
6 - 8 cups of water
6 cloves garlic - minced
1 large shallot - minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 small bunch of thyme (about 6-10 sprigs)
fresh ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped

Instructions

Trim the fat off the ham bone and cut any remaining ham into cubes.  Put the water and the ham bone into a large stock pot and allow the water to come to a boil; cook for about 30 minutes.  Remove the ham bone and reserve for any lucky dog that you may know.  My ham bone is destined for Calli and Charlie.  If it will be awhile before you see the dog, wrap the bone and put it into the freezer.

Add all the chopped vegetables and diced ham.  Add all the herbs and seasonings.  Add the Chia seeds (yes, from Cha cha cha chia ... notoriety.)

Cook on low heat for about an hour and a half, stirring frequently.  Make sure there's enough liquid so that the soup doesn't burn on the bottom, if it appears too thick, add a cup of water.

How this recipe was created... 

"OK, if my head starts spinning, you better run!"
Pea soup has never been a soup that I wanted to try, let alone make it.  I saw the Exorcist when I was a kid and it scared the living hell out of me.  When Linda Blair pewked up green when the priest was exorcising the devil from her soul, that was the day I decided pea soup was evil.  It did not have an appealing look so I avoided eating it.

I am now 50 years old.  I create recipes based on flavors that I can imagine and virtually taste.  My husband loves pea soup.  A couple of weeks ago he said, "Boy, I love pea soup, will you make it for me?"

"Sure."  I replied apprehensively.  I had no idea how to make it let alone what it should taste like.  

I read several recipes online on how different folks made their pea soup.  I had all ingredients, even a ham bone left over from a smoked picnic shoulder that I had made the other day for dinner.  

Yesterday, I broke through my pea soup prejudice... I made split pea soup.  My first time making it, I made up the recipe.  I wanted to add some color to the green base of the soup; I added diced carrots thinking that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to eat if it didn't look like a scene out of the Exorcist.

Here in this post, I tell you how I made the soup.  I added Chia Seeds because they are a super antioxidant.  It's also an incredible thickener for sauces, soups and gravies.  Chia Seeds don't have any taste.  In ancient times, Indians used to take the seeds on long trips across America when they went hunting or trading, using this little super food as their nutrition.  

I'm experimenting with Chia Seeds in my recipes.  It's noted that these little seeds have more antioxidant power than blueberries.  

Be adventurous with food, try something that you never thought you'd eat... it will surprise you.  

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great recipe and I am definitely going to try it! I've been experimenting with chia seeds in my food a lot lately too and I really like them. I've been throwing them on my oatmeal in the morning, and my salad at lunch, but I haven't tried them in soup yet so this will be a first. Where did you buy your chia seeds? I got mine from http://www.thechiaseed.com because it seemed to be the best deal overall online and they don't sell them in any stores by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Anna.

    Chia Seeds are fabulous. This was the first time I ever used them ... ever.

    I got my seeds from Whole Foods. They were in the health and beauty section of the store, Spectrum brand, $8.99 for what looks like a 1 lb bag.

    I love the idea of putting them on oatmeal and salad. I will try it!

    Thanks again Anna.

    ReplyDelete