Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

08 October 2010

Sue's Happy Heart and Mind Chicken Soup

Chicken soup, I love it.  I even made reference to it in my wedding vows, promising to make my husband chicken soup when he didn't feel too well.  I make it all the time, feeling good or not.

It's a great way for me to slip in all the cognition and healthy heart herbs and spices for my mom.  We all benefit.  Garlic, ginger and turmeric work wonders on lowering blood pressure.  Bay Leaves are good for lowering blood sugar.  Ginger is good for that too.

Cognition is helped by combining Turmeric and Black Pepper.  Thyme helps too.

My mother in law told me this was the best soup that I've ever made.  I sat down immediately and typed it up so that I could share it with others who want to see if they can help their loved one have a little bit better of a day because they had some chicken soup.  It's really good for you in so many ways.

Let me know how you like it.


Ingredients

1 Package of Chicken Wings, about 6 - 12
6 - 8 cups of filtered water
3 Stalks of celery sliced in 1/4 pieces
3-4 carrots sliced in 1/4 pieces
1 small onion cut coarsely
1 - 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped fine
1 small - medium lemon (juiced)
1 can butter beans (goya makes a really good canned bean.)
5-10 sprigs of fresh thyme (no need to strip the leaves, rinse the sprigs and toss them in, the leaves magically fall off.  Pull the twigs out before serving.)
3 Fresh Bay Leaves
1 teaspoon of Turmeric
1 teaspoon of Cumin
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated pepper
10 peppercorns
1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon, chicken flavored.
Grated Asiago cheese as a garnish

Instructions

Put all ingredients into a pressure cooker and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes after the pot starts to hiss.  Turn off the heat and let the pan cool down and naturally release the pressure.  If you can't wait, run the pot under cold water to release the pressure inside the pot faster.

3 comments:

  1. All my life I've heard people say, "There's nothing that can't be fixed with a little chicken soup and love."

    I guess it's truer than we knew!

    Looks nummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mellodee... yes it is! Chicken soup fixes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modification: I made more soup today. I added a head of escarole that I cut up into pieces.

    My mother-in-law told me the escarole addition made it better than the previous batch which I documented in this post.

    Instead of Assiago cheese, I used Parmesan cheese for a garnish, it goes so well with escarole.

    ReplyDelete