Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

18 May 2009

Divide and Conquer


I've been getting pretty good at taking care of Uncle Al and my mom. Both have dementia, my mom's is very mild so she can still do things like picking out vegetables in the supermarket. It makes her happy, which is always good.

Yesterday I picked up Uncle Al for the day. As usual, I arrived immediately after breakfast and off we went to my house.

Our first stop was the supermarket. I had written 2 lists, one for my mom and one for Uncle Al and me. Uncle Al needed to walk so I took him up and down the aisles looking for the few items that I needed to prepare the meals for the day. He loves shopping and pushing the cart. You can definitely see the family resemblance in this picture - brother and sister pushing grocery carts... very cute.

From there we went home, I made lunch and then I took Uncle Al to the local Hardware store to give him a feeling of freedom and roam the aisles "alone." He thought he was alone but I was watching him. He had so much fun. Especially when I walked up to where he was and he started to explain to me what a Ball Peen Hammer is. I think I spelled the name of the tool correctly.

Here I am standing in the middle of the hardware store with Al and he's explaining to me what a Ball peen hammer is and how it gives you more force because it's so heavy. Then he looked at me with an embarrassed look. I said, "Uncle Al, what's wrong?" He said quietly, "What am I doing? I'm explaining tools to you like you were a man!" I said, 'So... that shows that you are not a male chauvinist.' He smiled and we walked a little more.

During the trip to the hardware store he kept telling me that he needed to get a job and that he wanted to work in this store. He had a blast at the hardware store.

Today's big event that we've all been waiting for, Uncle Al more than my mom and me... the big dance at the Senior Center here in town. Woooo Hooo! Sure will have a good post after the dance... stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment