Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

21 July 2009

Cordyceps and Dementia: My observations


The main reason I went in search of a natural dementia treatment for my mom was because the thought of putting her in a nursing home scared me.

It is scary as a caregiver to a parent when you begin to see them decline. The person who was always there for you, who always rooted you on when the going seemed to be the toughest, became someone that you didn't recognize.

Like most caregivers, my initial reaction to her mental decline was one of disbelief. You can't help but think this person is either lazy or just not trying hard enough.

What I've observed with my mom over the course of the last year is that she just couldn't remember much, she was out of it most of the time. She was seeing people and things that didn't exist, but she believed strongly that she really was seeing these people (and things.) She believed her hallucinations so much that one night she actually called the police to report a man in bed with her and that I was missing!

There is no reasoning or arguing with the demented mind. The power of belief is strong. Belief that is filled with emotion is a perfect recipe for someone with dementia to turn a mailbox on it's post into a little child.

I do not believe in the "new drugs" that the pharmaceutical companies keep producing and feeding people. People tend to put a lot of faith in their doctors, so when they say, "Here's a new pill, try it."... People try it.

What I have witnessed through my mom over the years is that each new drug that is prescribed and ingested by her caused her to need more "new" drugs. She was not getting well, she was becoming more ill. She was ready for a nursing home residency.

Logically, it does not make sense to me why doctors keep prescribing drugs that make people sicker than they were when they initially stepped into their office.

Naturally I turned to the internet to research what natural remedies are out there that would help a senior with dementia. Using my Boolean skills from my computer programming days, I found a potential solution, Cordyceps.

It's been just about a month since my mom began taking the mushroom capsules.

Yesterday she began to remember things, lots of stuff. She would say, "Susie, don't forget to...." Over and over, she kept remembering my to do list. My mom was so happy to remember, it felt good. She wasn't frustrated. She is beginning to become a better conversationalist. When I talk to her she understands for real and isn't just pretending to understand like she had been over the last year.

From what I can see with my mom, the Cordyceps are working not only for controlling her diabetes, it is absolutely helping her to reconnect all those synapses in her brain. Cordyceps seems to be cleaning up the plaque on her brain neurons; her memory is improving.

Today is a GREAT day! My mom is improving, she is moving forward like a child growing and getting stronger.

We love mushrooms, what a great food that is provided to us from the Earth.

4 comments:

  1. You said:
    "I do not believe in the "new drugs" that the pharmaceutical companies keep producing and feeding people. People tend to put a lot of faith in their doctors, so when they say, "Here's a new pill, try it."... People try it. What I have witnessed through my mom over the years is that each new drug that is prescribed and ingested by her caused her to need more "new" drugs. She was not getting well, she was becoming more ill. She was ready for a nursing home residency. Logically, it does not make sense to me why doctors keep prescribing drugs that make people sicker than they were when they initially stepped into their office."

    Um ... could it be because BigPhama and the pill-pushing doctors make a lot more money peddling dangerous chemicals than they could ever make by telling people to eat a healthy diet?

    Modern medicine is a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is!

    It's up to us to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sue,

    What is the dosage and how many pills does your mom take? My mom's hallucinations are getting worse and they keep upping her donepezil dosage. I've been trying to find a natural solution for her. Her speech is awful to the point that we can't even have conversations anymore.

    ReplyDelete