Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

01 August 2009

A Royal Breakfast for the Elderly

This morning I woke up early and had some time to read up on the medicinal properties of spices and herbs... what are they good for? It was what was used back in the ancient times and I've heard tales that people lived a very long time. It's been this thought that I've held since I was a little girl that piqued my interest in food. I like growing it. Preparing it. Most of all, I enjoy tasting.

As far back as I can remember, I've always had the gift where I can smell and taste flavors in my mind and then pull them together into a unique recipe.

To this day I love creating recipes, much to the chagrin of my family at times. Most of the time however, my food art sends eyes rolling with delight from the explosion of flavors.

My mom is not afraid to tell me if something that I make "sucks" and for some stupid reason, ever since I was a kid, I always look for her approval, especially with food that I prepare. This desire to please my mom marches on.

This morning, after reading about spices and herbs, I was inspired to create. I created what I am going to call a Royal Breakfast for the Elderly. In it are spices and herbs that are good for lowering blood sugar, blood cholesterol, memory boosting and antioxidants to scrub the plaque off brain neurons.

Here it is... my first recipe that I am giving to my faithful readers. Thank you!

Royal Breakfast for the Elderly
(and those of us who just FEEL Elderly)

1/4 tsp Royal Maca (Whole World Botanicals - this can be purchased at Whole Foods)
1/4 Tsp Royal Camu
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Fenugreek

1/4 cup organic oat flakes
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (frozen blueberries have more antioxidant properties - freezing does something to make them stronger.)
1/2 cup water

Organic Raw Blue Agave Nectar to taste - it's sweet so go light

A little milk to put over the oatmeal

Microwave Instructions

  • Put all dry ingredients in a microwave safe bowl

  • add water

  • mix

  • Microwave on high for 1 minute - watching it to make sure it doesn't boil over

  • Stir

  • Microwave on high for 45 seconds

  • Add blueberries and stir

  • Microwave on high for 15 seconds

I ate some with my mom and it's really quite good. The Agave Nectar drizzled over the top was superb.

I'll make observations with my mom and me and report the results in a future post.





No comments:

Post a Comment