Disclaimer

I am not a doctor. I am providing information based on experiences that my mom has with natural remedies. The purpose of this blog is to help folks to educate themselves. Use this information with your own discernment.

18 January 2011

Arugula and Warmed Hazelnut Dressing

Arugula and Warmed Hazelnut Dressing
with Roasted Chicken
I enjoy a good salad for dinner.  Personally, I've noticed that when I eat a light dinner with all vegetables, I sleep better.  I've also noticed, when my mom eats vegetables for dinner, she has a better nights rest too and a better following day.

Last night, I made a new salad dressing and thought I'd share it with readers of my blog.

Ingredients

12 raw hazelnuts (shelled)
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Boar's Head Deli Mustard (or any coarse mustard - Dijon mustard works well too.)
1 Tsp Raw Honey
1 medium lemon (juiced)

Arugula (Baby Arugula is very tender and less bitter)
12 Cherry or Grape tomatoes cut in half
Sea Salt

Instructions

Wash and spin dry the Arugula.  Add the Arugula and cut tomatoes to a large bowl.  Lightly salt the Arugula and tomatoes.  Toss with salad tongs.  Set aside.

In a small skillet (I like to use a cast iron skillet) heat the pan and add the 12 hazelnuts.  Pan roast the hazelnuts so the skins on the nuts will easily flake off when rubbed in a towel.  The skins will turn dark brown. Remove from the skillet and place on a clean kitchen towel to cool.  Rub the nuts in the towel to remove the skins from the nuts, it should come off easily.  Don't worry about getting all the skin off all nuts, it's OK to leave a little skin on the nuts.

Chop the nuts.

Measure out the ingredients.  (very important because you need to move quick once the oil is heated.)

Wipe out the skillet.  Heat the oil on a medium heat.  Add the chopped nuts when the oil is heated and fry the nuts, tossing in the oil.  The nuts will become a light brown color.  Add the mustard (gently, it will splatter and can burn you.)  Mix the mustard around.  Add the vinegar, lemon juice and raw honey.  Stir around to mix all the ingredients.

Pour the warmed salad dressing over the arugula and tomato.  Toss with tongs to coat the arugula and tomato with the salad dressing.  The warmed dressing will wilt the arugula.

You can use feta cheese or grated asiago cheese as a garnish.  I've also added sliced roasted chicken breast which makes it a balanced meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment